SUP (Single Use Plastic) Eradication
The MoEF&CC has notified the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016, in exercise of the powers conferred under section 3, 6 & 25 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 Vide Notification No G.S.R. 320 (E) dated March 27, 2016. Subsequently, MoEF&CC issued notification, dated August 12, 2021 which mandated banning of identified SUP items and prescribed minimum thickness of carry bag with effect from July 01, 2022. 1st meeting was convened by Govt. of India on 24/2/2021 followed by National Task Force 1st meeting held on dated 31/8/2021 with following directions:
- Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2021 to be implemented by States.
- Constitution of Special Task Force to work in this issue in mission mode (Constituted on dated 09.02.2022).
- Launch of targeted and wider awareness campaign.
- Different groups targeted to achieve objectives, e.g.
- Essay Competition among students
- Organizations like NCC, NSS, Nehru Yuva Kendra etc.
- Hackathon among students and start ups to promote innovations in the areas of alternate materials, recycling, circular economy etc.
After constitution of State & District Level Special Task Force to eradicate SUP, the 1st meeting of Special Task Force, Himachal Pradesh held on 06.04.2022. In order to eradicate SUP state level indicative action plans have been prepared.
Kindly submit your comments/suggestions on Draft/Indicative Action Plan prepared by DEST & stakeholder departments. Comments may be submitted on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org