FUNCTIONS & MANDATE UNDER ENVIRONMENT & POLLUTION CONTROL
a) To exercise all the powers vested under all Act and Rules pertaining to protection of environment & control of pollution. Implementation/ enforcement of all environment legislation on behalf of the State Government, which cannot be implemented by State Board, or any other agency:
- Water [Prevention and Control of Pollution] Act, 1974.
- Water [Prevention and Control of Pollution] Cess Act, 1977.
- Air [Prevention and Control of Pollution] Act, 1981.
- Environment [Protection] Act, 1986, (Rules listed below);
- Bio-medical Waste [Management and Handling] Rules, 1998.
- Hazardous Waste [Management and Handling] Rules, 1989.
- Manufacture, Storage and Import of Hazardous Chemical Rules, 1989.
- Rules for manufacture, use, import and storage of Hazardous Microorganisms, genetically Engineered Micro-organism or Cells, 1989.
- The Recycled Plastic Manufacture and Usage Rules, 1999.
- The Ozone Depleting Substances [Regulation and Control] Rules, 2000.
- The Batteries [Management and Handling] Rules, 2001.
- The Noise Pollution [Regulation and Control] Rules, 2000.
- The Municipal Solid Wastes [Management and Handling] Rules, 2000.
- NODAL AGENCY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CLEARENCE.
b) To consider the validity and facts contained in the Environmental Impact Assessment and monitoring of Environment Management Plan prepared by the Project Proponents.
Other functions under environment and pollution control as under:
- Collection, preparation and dissemination of “Environmental Inventory” on the State Resources in particular and on the Himalayan Region in general.
- To deal with all matters pertaining to environmental awareness among the masses, trainings, and research on the environment and pollution control.
- Monitoring and assessment of impact of development of projects on environment.
- Dovetailing of the environmental concerns in the development processes through Environmental Planning to ensure environmentally compatible land use and ecosystem specific conservation and sustainable use of all resources.
- Research and Development on the environment protection and pollution control independently as well as in collaboration with premier institutions in the field of environment.
- Inventorisation of sources of hazardous chemicals and waste, creation of database on the treatment technologies and providing consultancy for the concerned.
- To study the likely impacts of agricultural and horticultural activities and study of “Non-Point Sources of Pollution” such as chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals on soil and water resources, flora, fauna and communities in the State and to suggest mitigation measures/alternatives in this regard.
- To advise the Government on the Environmental issues.
- To examine the cases of Environment Impact Assessment and recommend the same to the Government of India.
- Complete control of SEIA & MC, SEIAA & SEAC under EIA mechanism.
- Monitoring of implementation of Environmental Safeguards as specified by the Government of India at the time of Environment Clearance to the various project Proponents in the State.
- Monitoring of Pollution Control measures/ devices adopted by the various industries/proponents.
- All matters pertaining to Natural and man-made disasters and to suggests mitigation/ remedial action plan programmes.
- To create data bank on disaster management related to potential industrial accidents and mitigation through instruments such as Onsite and Offsite Emergency Plan and Public Liability Insurance cover etc.
- To make coordination among the various agencies of the State Government, which are involved in environment protection and pollution control such as H.P. State Environment Protection and Pollution Control Board.
- To deal with all matters relating to Bio-diversity, Biosphere, Mitigation and Management of Natural Disasters, Protection and Conservation of the Wetlands, Grass-lands etc.
- To deal with all environmental education programmes, awareness programmes and to promote pro-active disclosure of environment monitoring and management information by the project proponents and the regulators.
- To deal with all matters relating to the environmental litigation with respect to aforesaid rules and regulation and Acts.
- Formulation/ maintenance of environmental standards in respect of various pollutants in the State.
- Natural Disaster and Climate Change.